Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Ludlow Thieves

If you happen to be reading this blog post right now you're most likely a music fan, so you don't need me to tell you that the opening song to an album can be very important.  It sets the table for what's the come and leads the remaining set off with a statement.  When I first heard "To Travel" by New York's The Ludlow Thieves, my first reaction was: "What a great opener!"  And sure enough, as the opener to their self-titled album The Ludlow Thieves, it functions beautifully.  It's a soaring conglomerate of majestic orchestral instrumentation, steady drum beats, and convincing, powerful vocals that was described to me as "Rod Stewart on two packs of smokes".  Truth be told, I tried hard to think of a better way to portray his voice, but I really couldn't, it fits wonderfully.  Despite the fact that the orchestra may sound a bit chamber-like, the guttural chorus brings the track right down to earth. In turn, this makes "To Travel" seem way more like a roots ballad than anything, which allows for a very unique sounding song...and one that works fantastically as their album's opener.  Well, I've gone off and praised "To Travel" to high heaven, but the rest of The Ludlow Thieves is most definitely worth a listen too, so I highly recommend it.  To get an idea of what I'm talking about, take a listen to "To Travel" below, and be sure to visit their SoundCloud for the full release.

 To Travel by theludlowthieves

No comments:

Post a Comment