Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ducktails

Ohhhhh how it all comes full circle!  In mid-September of last year I covered Ducktails and his 2009 album Landscapes in what was my first blog post ever, and now a few months later, here I am writing about his newly released single called "Killin' the Vibe" in anticipation of Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics (to be released January 18). This is a release that I've had on my radar for quite some time, and there are several reasons I'm excited.  Firstly, I was really into Landscapes, and became pretty accommodated to the record. Since I was such a big fan, I am amped to see what new material he has to offer, and it's always intriguing to see how artists and bands progress from album to album.  Secondly, Ducktails is the solo project of Matthew Mondanile, who also happens to be the guitarist for Real Estate. From listening to many Ducktails songs, it's easy to see the crossovers between the two, and since I also listen to a lot of Real Estate, it's hard to picture Arcade Dynamics as being as disappointment.  And lastly, "Killin' the Vibe" is a pretty sick track.  On first listen it may seem linear and straightforward, but upon multiple listens, one is able to grasp the depth in it....and before long the song will find itself on repeat. Furthermore, "Killin' the Vibe" features the mastermind Panda Bear, which is yet another act that has grown on me over the past couple of months.  Also, as Pitchfork reports, a more "Panda-fied" version of this very song is due out as a single next month. It just keeps getting better and better!  How can I not be pumped?  Feel free to sit back and check it out below.


January 18th will be a great day.  Not only do we get this release, but also the new Decemberists, Braids, Smith Westerns, and Tennis albums are slated for that day. Awesome.  Totally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment