Monday, December 6, 2010

Evenings

A month or two ago, I caught wind of a new single that had dropped by the artist Evenings that was entitled "Chesapeake".  Admittedly, I had never heard any of his previous work, but following my first listening of "Chesapeake" I knew that it was something I had to check out.  Conveniently enough, I was able to locate his MySpace and Bandcamp, where I learned that on June 28 of this year, the one-man project of Evenings released a North Dorm EP.  I was immediately drawn to the brilliant collection of glo-fi, experimental gaze, and ambient tracks that were so soothing that I found the EP to be a regular member of my late-night jams to help nurse my quiescent mind.  In particular, the song "Goodbye Forever" would help me unwind as I lay in bed trying to sleep.  It starts off with a sampling of ocean waves, which seems to help blanket you in tranquility as the noise begins to surround you.  I found this to be especially true while listening to it with headphones, something I'd highly recommend.  I became such a huge fan of the EP that I decided I'd try and reach out to him.  I was thrilled when he actually responded to me, and did so quite positively!  Following which, he was kind enough to answer a few questions I had.  So if you're interested, please feel free to have a read below:


Which past bands/artists inspire you most when it comes to making music?
AIR, Bibio, The Books, The Six Parts Seven, Gold Panda, and M83.  I listen to a lot of '80s music, too.

What are some of your favorite releases to come out so far this year?
Gemini by Wild Nothing is probably my favorite of 2010.  But also Moon Deluxe by Andrew Cedermark, Lucky Shiner by Gold Panda, Stoned Alone by Coma Cinema, Cyanide Sisters by Com Truise, Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus, and all the Teenage Reverb stuff is really good, too....it's all I've listened to it all week.  I know I am also forgetting a lot.

If you could play in any city in the world, where would it be and why?
I think it would be really cool to play in Geneva, Switzerland.  I've never been, but the culture there just seems really, really diverse and unique.  The fact that it's beautiful doesn't hurt either.

Do you feel that modern music technology is helping you in becoming recognized? Or has it made it more difficult?
Well, I think it has definitely helped me in the recognition department.  I guess because almost everyone has access to a computer and the internet now, it does challenge you to tweak and polish things a little more....but without it I don't know where I'd be at the moment.  That said, even though I make somewhat electronic music, I have this innate feeling that technology is sorta....I dunno, evil.  Sometimes I look at my cellphone which is also a camera/computer/Gameboy/calculator/iPod and just think about how much I really don't need that; how no one needs all that.

What can fans expect from you in the future?
A super secret remix soon.  Hopefully an album eventually.


Below I've posted the songs "Friend [Lover]" and "Goodbye Forever" from the North Dorm EP along with his newest single "Chesapeake".  Hope ya'll enjoy it.

Friend [Lover]

Goodbye Forever

Chesapeake

To get the EP you can head over to his Bandcamp where he offers it for a "name your price" download, so be sure to check that out here.  You can also get updates from his MySpace here, or you can follow him on Facebook, where he announced a week ago that he'd be playing a show with Home Video, so congrats and major props to him for landing that.  All of that can be found here.  Thank you to Evenings for taking time to answer the questions!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment