Friday, September 17, 2010

The Radio Dept.

Earlier this year, The Radio Dept. absolutely floored me with the release of their new album Clinging to a Scheme.  My love for the album spurred a desire to explore more within the shoegaze genre, and I can now say that I officially blame The Radio Dept. for my recent addiction to some of the godfathers of shoegaze like My Bloody Valentine, Ride, and Slowdive.  Even more recently, that early-90s shoegaze listening spree has spilled over into the '90s alt-rock scene where Guided by Voices reigns supreme (their albums have been spinning on my iTunes non-stop).  This is all thanks to The Radio Dept.  Although they don't get the recognition that the aforementioned bands receive, it holds a special spot in my heart nonetheless for the door it opened for me.

And now, continuing on their successful LP earlier this year, The Radio Dept. released yet another single two days ago.  These guys are on a roll...they can't write a bad song!  The song is called "The New Improved Hypocrisy".  It's not completely new, though.  The song has been played at their live shows before and bootleg copies have been released.  As of two days ago though, the song is now recorded, mixed, and released as a legit single.  It sounds fantastic, it's a great continuation of what they tried to do on Clinging to a Scheme and has some obvious political themes.  This isn't new of course.  The Radio Dept. has indulged themselves in controversy before and haven't been shy about expressing themselves; it's only within the first 20 seconds of their hit single Heaven's On Fire that they sample "I think we should destroy the bogus capitalist process that is destroying youth culture".  On top of all this, the single "The New Improved Hypocrisy" was released 4 days before the Swedish elections.  Coincidence?!  Hmmmm....

Therefore, the single seems fitting, and it's pretty damn good to boot.  Below is the track that I've uploaded from Soundcloud.  If you decide you like it, the best part is that you can download it for free here.  Thanks Radio Dept.!

 The New Improved Hypocrisy - The Radio Dept.

No comments:

Post a Comment